Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Fair Weather Flying

I couldn't stand it any longer... I had to leave work early (after only 9 hours!). It was calm, 82 degrees and it hasn't been like that for awhile. I did my normal preflight and changed the plugs and then I was off. I've had a little trouble with landings lately and I think I finally figured it out. I thought back to my tailwheel training many years ago and I could hear my instructor telling me to get the stick back into my gut. As I was setting up on final, I kept reminding myself to flare low to the ground and upon touching down to get the stick back. It worked flawlessly. Even as I would bounce a little, the plane would settle right in. It worked for 6 landings, now let's see if I can keep it up.

Now that I can land again, I have to address the fact that my EGTs (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) are climbing. They're now hitting 1200 and around 1175. This is not good. I'm going to try adjusting the carb needle, but if that doesn't work, I will have to tear the engine down and check it out. It could need to be decarbed, but doesn't really have enough hours. The fun of owning your own plane!!!

No comments: