Tuesday, October 21, 2008

5 at Taylor

Last Saturday was a long one for me. I got up to go fly, had to be back for my Daughter's Birthday party, then I went to the University of Texas football game to see them destroy Missouri!!

We intended to fly at OSP, but the park was closed for a bicycle race, so we headed to Taylor. I met there with Travis, Scott, and Chris and Bruce showed up just as we were taking off.

I would have been the second to launch, but the wing went drastically to the left, then to the right and back to the left. I pulled the power and steered under it, and got it under control just as I almost made it to the cars! Oh well, I had to start over. It was bound to happen someday.

It was a good day to fly, but maybe a little windier than I prefer. It wasn't bad during the flight, but it was cutting my speed down to 12 mph. I prefer the carefree, no wind days.

When we headed back, I stayed in the back to let everyone else land. A Cessna got between me and Travis, so I decided to give him some room. After Travis landed, the Cessna came in to land and I did a 360 to let him land so I wouldn't get caught in his wake. That's when I got a little scared. It got rough, very rough. I was swinging wildly. I continued to make slow progress to the airport, getting bashed all the way. When I got close to the ground, it got calm and I had another perfect landing. I think someday I'll get used to getting tossed around!

Bruce decided to stick around the airport for touch-n-goes. He ended up flipping his PPC and damaging it, so he didn't get to do much flying. He'll be back in the air soon.




Chris with engine off, trying to stall the wing.


Still with engine off.






Scott and his son.





Umm, does anyone else see the Texan bearing down on me?




Keep the shiny side up.... Jack.

No comments: